(R.H. Charles Oxford: The Clarendon Press)
1. And in those days the word of God came unto me, and He said unto me: ‘ Noah, thy lot has come Up before Me, a lot without blame, a lot of love and uprightness.
(2 Peter 2:5)
2. And now the angels are making a wooden (building), and when they have completed that task I will place My hand upon it and preserve it, and there shall come forth from it the seed of life, and a change shall set in so that the earth will not remain without inhabitant.
3. And I will make fast thy sed before me for ever and ever, and I will spread abroad those who dwell with thee: it shall not be unfruitful on the face of the earth, but it shall be blessed and multiply on the earth in the name of the Lord.’
4. And He will imprison those angels, who have shown unrighteousness, in that burning valley which my grandfather Enoch had formerly shown to me in the west among the mountains of gold and silver and iron and soft metal and tin.
(Isaiah 24:21-23), (2 Peter 2:4), (Jude 1:5-6)
5. And I saw that valley in which there was a great convulsion and a convulsion of the waters.
6. And when all this took place, from that fiery molten metal and from the convulsion thereof in that place, there was produced a smell of sulphur, and it was connected with those waters, and that valley of the angels who had led astray (mankind) burned beneath that land.
7. And through its valleys proceed streams of fire, where these angels are punished who had led astray those who dwell upon the earth.
8. But those waters shall in those days serve for the kings and the mighty and the exalted, and those who dwell on the earth, for the healing of the body, but for the punishment of the spirit; now their spirit is full of lust, that they may be punished in their body, for they have denied the Lord of Spirits and see their punishment daily, and yet believe not in His name.
(Job 20:20), (Proverbs 1:19), (Jeremiah 51:13), (Micah 2:2), (Habakkuk 2:9), (1 Timothy 6:10)
(Psalm 73:27), (Jeremiah 5:12), (Jeremiah 17:13), (Job 31:25-28), (Luke 12:9)
9. And in proportion as the burning of their bodies becomes severe, a corresponding change shall take place in their spirit for ever and ever; for before the Lord of Spirits none shall utter an idle word.
(Job 11:2), (Proverbs 14:23), (Matthew 5:37)
10. For the judgement shall come upon them, because they believe in the lust of their body and deny the Spirit of the Lord.
(Galatians 5:16-17), (Galatians 5:24), (Ephesians 2:3), (1 John 2:16)
11. And those same waters will undergo a change in those days; for when those angels are punished in these waters, these water-springs shall change their temperature, and when the angels ascend, this water of the springs shall change and become cold.
12. And I heard Michael answering and saying: ‘ This judgement wherewith the angels are judged is a testimony for the kings and the mighty who possess the earth.
13. Because these waters of judgement minister to the healing of the body of the kings and the lust of their body; therefore they will not see and will not believe that those waters will change and become a fire which burns for ever.
(Matthew 3:11-12), (Isaiah 34:7-10), (Revelation 14:11), (Revelation 19:3)
(2 Peter 2:5) “5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;”
(Isaiah 24:21-23) “21 It shall come to pass in that day That the Lord will punish on high the host of exalted ones, And on the earth the kings of the earth.
22 They will be gathered together, As prisoners are gathered in the pit, And will be shut up in the prison; After many days they will be punished.
23 Then the moon will be disgraced And the sun ashamed; For the Lord of hosts will reign On Mount Zion and in Jerusalem And before His elders, gloriously.”
(2 Peter 2:4) “4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;”
(Jude 1:5-6) “5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;”
…now their spirit is full of lust…
(Job 20:20) “20 “Because he knows no quietness in his heart, He will not save anything he desires.”
(Proverbs 1:19) “19 So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; It takes away the life of its owners.”
(Jeremiah 51:13) “13 O you who dwell by many waters, Abundant in treasures, Your end has come, The measure of your covetousness.”
(Micah 2:2) “2 They covet fields and take them by violence, Also houses, and seize them. So they oppress a man and his house, A man and his inheritance.”
(Habakkuk 2:9) “9 “Woe to him who covets evil gain for his house, That he may set his nest on high, That he may be delivered from the power of disaster!”
(1 Timothy 6:10) “10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”
…they may be punished in their body, for they have denied the Lord of Spirits…
(Psalm 73:27) “27 For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish; You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.”
(Jeremiah 5:12) “12 They have lied about the Lord, And said, “It is not He. Neither will evil come upon us, Nor shall we see sword or famine.”
(Jeremiah 17:13) “13 O Lord, the hope of Israel, All who forsake You shall be ashamed. “Those who depart from Me Shall be written in the earth, Because they have forsaken the Lord, The fountain of living waters.””
(Job 31:25-28) “25 If I have rejoiced because my wealth was great, And because my hand had gained much;
26 If I have observed the sun when it shines, Or the moon moving in brightness,
27 So that my heart has been secretly enticed, And my mouth has kissed my hand;
28 This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgment, For I would have denied God who is above.”
(Luke 12:9) “9 But he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God.”
…and see their punishment daily, and yet believe not in His name.
(Amos 4:6-13) “6 “Also I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, And lack of bread in all your places; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
7 “I also withheld rain from you, When there were still three months to the harvest. I made it rain on one city, I withheld rain from another city. One part was rained upon, And where it did not rain the part withered.
8 So two or three cities wandered to another city to drink water, But they were not satisfied; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
9 “I blasted you with blight and mildew. When your gardens increased, Your vineyards, Your fig trees, And your olive trees, The locust devoured them; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
10 “I sent among you a plague after the manner of Egypt; Your young men I killed with a sword, Along with your captive horses; I made the stench of your camps come up into your nostrils; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
11 “I overthrew some of you, As God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, And you were like a firebrand plucked from the burning; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
12 “Therefore thus will I do to you, O Israel; Because I will do this to you, Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!”
13 For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who declares to man what his thought is, And makes the morning darkness, Who treads the high places of the earth— The Lord God of hosts is His name.”
(Job 11:2) “2 “Should not the multitude of words be answered? And should a man full of talk be vindicated?”
(Proverbs 14:23) “23 In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty.”
(Matthew 5:37) “37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.”
(Galatians 5:16-17) “16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.”
(Galatians 5:24) “24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
(Ephesians 2:3) “3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.”
(1 John 2:16) “16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.”
(Matthew 3:11-12) “11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.””
(Isaiah 34:7-10) “7 The wild oxen shall come down with them, And the young bulls with the mighty bulls; Their land shall be soaked with blood, And their dust saturated with fatness.”
8 For it is the day of the Lord’s vengeance, The year of recompense for the cause of Zion.
9 Its streams shall be turned into pitch, And its dust into brimstone; Its land shall become burning pitch.
10 It shall not be quenched night or day; Its smoke shall ascend forever. From generation to generation it shall lie waste; No one shall pass through it forever and ever.”
(Revelation 14:11) “11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.””
(Revelation 19:3) “3 Again they said, “Alleluia! Her smoke rises up forever and ever!””